Monday, June 1, 2009

That's 3 1/2 hours of my life I won't ever get back.

George and I went to a 'vacation ownership' presentation Sunday. We actually went because they promised that once we sat through the presentation we would get a free trip to Vegas, 2 Rangers tickets, a $25 gift card to Salt Grass and a $40 American Express gift card.

To be fair, we did get all that. And the girl who told us about the resorts was nice, young and quite a talker, but nice. You could tell that she was quite 'goth' in her day to day life but had toned it down for work. The resorts were almost all in Texas, and I don't know about you, but sometimes you just gotta party outside of Texas, know what I mean?

Any way, the first price we were quoted was like $3800 down and $450 a month for 3 years. But we were not biting, after all, we still have one in college and a leaky roof waiting repair. So the second guy comes along and he has sympathy for us and he is going to work with us. The price comes down to $1250 down payment and $300 a month. What a pal. Can you believe they dropped it that much the first go round? Like, excuse me, would we have been stupid for buying in at the first price or what?

Then, once we firmly but ever so politely turn him down, we get the 'closer', the third guy. He tries to get us to sign to $85 a month for a year for a two night stay at one of their local resorts. The $85 being put in a escrow so we could apply it to a down payment next year when things are looking brighter and we are ready to purchase. The third guy was mean. Practically calling us stupid for not handing over our credit card. Finally I put my foot down and he stormed off telling us to follow him.

We got our prizes and headed off to Walmart for groceries. But, seriously, we were grumpy. We felt like we had been beaten up. And we missed lunch.

I had never heard of 'vacation ownership.' I googled it when we got home and it seems there are several companies out there. And lo and behold, they have resorts OUTSIDE the state of Texas. Ha. A friend tells me tonight that her parents had purchased one once and they eventually gave it up because they couldn't get the weeks they wanted at the resorts they wanted. That would be a nightmare.

Oh, the next nightmare waiting to happen - I have jury duty tomorrow. But I am taking a book and packing snacks.

Peace, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment